Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Pleasures of Reading and Re-reading

Reading, being such a personal activity, appeals to a wide assortment of people- each in quest of a different kind of gratification through books.

There are those who experiment with books belonging to diverse genres and authors. Then, there are those who stick to their favourite authors and eagerly await any new books by them to hit the stands. Chetan Bhagat enthusiasts, perhaps, best describe this lot. Also, there are a few who dig a particular genre; for instance, many take a keen interest in self-help books (though I personally find most of them too idealistic, and their claims to have changed the lives of millions seem too far-fetched).

Lately, I have progressed (for want of a better word) to a new level altogether: I experience a new-found pleasure in re-reading the books I haven’t read in years. And, the fact that I’m reading the same book again doesn’t really dampen the novelty factor. Having matured considerably since the last time I read the book, I can appreciate the same things from an entirely new perspective, and almost always discover some finer details that I missed out earlier. Many a times, the old stories conjure a faint feeling of familiarity, if not a complete recall of the plot. Then, there are also times when they do not ring a bell at all, having got jumbled up with a lot of other things. In case of the latter, even old mysteries and suspense thrillers can be visited time and again without any loss of interest since it is still a mystery each time you revisit the book!

Sometimes, it’s not so much about the plot of a story as about escaping to a different world. Reading an old classic transports you to a much simpler world; it is reminiscent of a bygone era - a less hurried time when life moved at a slow pace. Also, it triggers many happy memories of the time last spent with the book.

Occasionally, I read an old favourite and wonder why I found it so gripping back then. On the other hand, a novel that I found just passable years ago seems quite absorbing now, making me realise how preferences change as we grow up.

2 comments:

  1. wow! i envy you. As much as i enjoy reading, I just cant bring myself to reading a book for more than 15-20 minutes. Result: Many unfinished books. Hows life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right :)
    Then you must be inclined more towards short stories than novels...
    That happens with me too occasionally, but the book has to be bad enough!

    ReplyDelete