Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sherlock Holmes - the ultimate sleuth!

I have always enjoyed reading Sherlock Holmes mysteries, not just for Holmes’ deductive reasoning of the solution to a crime but also for the remarkable quotations that still seem as relevant as they may have been in the Victorian times.
Following is a list of quotes from the Sherlock Holmes series of stories that I find the most contemplative:

  1. I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it.
  2. It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it. If you were asked to prove that two and two made four, you might find some difficulty, and yet you are quite sure of the fact.
  3. When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  4. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
  5. It is of the highest importance in the art of detection to be able to recognize, out of a number of facts, which are incidental and which vital. Otherwise your energy and attention must be dissipated instead of being concentrated.
  6. What one man can invent another can discover.
  7. Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
  8. Education never ends Watson. It is a series of lessons with the greatest for the last.
  9. What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is, what can you make people believe that you have done.
  10. His ignorance was as remarkable as his knowledge. (Dr. Watson about Holmes)
And now the wittiest passages:

Dr Leslie Armstrong - "I have heard your name, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, and I am aware of your profession — one of which I by no means approve."
Holmes - "In that, Doctor, you will find yourself in agreement with every criminal in the country."


Holmes - “I followed you."
Sterndale (the murderer) - "I saw no one."
Holmes - “That is what you may expect to see when I follow you."


My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know.


Come at once if convenient — if inconvenient come all the same.
(Holmes to Dr. Watson)


"I play the game for the game's own sake."
(Holmes - expressing his indifference toward any kind of public honour for solving a case of national importance)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks bhai!
    Glad that you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this ones really good. awesome yaar. The one about Agreement with every criminal is just too good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah!
    But my favourite is the next one,where Holmes says - “That is what you may expect to see when I follow you."
    Find that one really witty on his part!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah that ones nice too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Stuff Nish!
    I've always liked Shelock. Reminded me of my childhood days. Thanks.
    Watson's stories are inspiring and make you really think....very unlike others writers.
    Have you seen his latest flick?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!
    In fact,it was you who introduced me to Sherlock Holmes, although you may not remember!
    Since then,i have read each of the 56 stories atleast thrice!

    No, i haven't watched the movie...
    As i gather from the reviews, it's not really based on the original stories. Holmes is portrayed as being too eccentric and comical. So the purist in me doesn't allow to watch the flick!!

    Have you watched it?

    ReplyDelete